Many people are increasingly relying on WiFi Hotspots when working on the go. This however, does come with cybercrime risks. In order to protect your personal and business data, you need to use WiFi Hotspots securely. If you are unsure if a hotspot is safe, it’s best to set up a WiFi Hotspot. Download and follow the guide to learn how to set up a WiFi Hotspot on your mobile device.
Download the guide
Watch the Video Tutorial
Set Up a WiFi Hotspot on an iOS Device
- Go to ‘Settings’
- Click ‘Mobile Data’ or on some mobiles, there will be a ‘Personal Hotspot’ shortcut under the mobile data option
- If you select ‘Mobile Data’ first, click ‘Personal Hotspot’
- Tap the slider to turn the personal hotspot on
- If WiFi and/or Bluetooth are off, you will be prompted to turn them back on. This is the easiest option. The alternate would be connecting to the mobile via a USB, however, this is the most secure method
- Click ‘WiFi Password’ and enter a secure and strong password
- Then on the device that requires the hotspot, go to the WiFi connections list and select the name of your connection e.g. “Ragnar’s iPhone”
- Enter the password that you created in step 5.You should then be able to use the internet on this device as normal, as well as your mobile device. This will run off you mobile 3G or 4G data. You have now successfully set up a WiFi Hotspot
Set Up a WiFi Hotspot on an Android Device
These steps cover all Android devices such as Samsung, Sony, Huawei, Google, Xiaomi etc. Each device may differ slightly in name and layouts.
- Bring up the menu and select ‘Settings’ and click the button that brings up your WiFi and networks. It may be called something like ‘Connections’
- Open the ‘Mobile Hotspot & Tethering’ options
- Turn on the ‘Portable WiFi Hotspot’ by selecting the tick next to it, or sliding the bar to on. This will now be a publicly available WiFi hotspot. To connect to it, users must know the password first, click ‘Personal Hotspot’
- Click on ‘Portable WiFi Hotspot Settings’. Here you can change the password, security level, network name and manage users connected wirelessly to your phone. You have now successfully set up a WiFi Hotspot
Want to learn more about the safe use of WiFi hotspots? Click the button below. Alternatively, if your business is looking for reliable IT Support to help move your technology forward and reduce downtime, get a quote or give us a call on 0800 680 00 88.