Microsoft has announced that Windows 10 is due to be released on 29th July 2015, and as a small business IT support company we’re quite excited. For the first year they will upgrade those who are on genuine versions of Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 to the like –to-like edition of Windows. For example Windows 7 Professional will be upgraded to Windows 10 Pro. You only have until July 29, 2016 to take advantage of this offer. Once you upgrade, you have Windows 10 for free on that device.
The only requirements are that a) your device is compatible, and b) you’re running genuine Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1) or Windows 8.1 (Update).
Windows 10 is designed to run on Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 PCs. That means your device is likely compatible and will run Windows 10.
If you want to upgrade to Windows 10 on your PC or tablet, here’s what it takes.
- Latest OS: Make sure you are running the latest version either Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1 Update.
- Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster processor or SoC
- RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) for 32-bit or 2 GB for 64-bit
- Hard disk space: 16 GB for 32-bit OS 20 GB for 64-bit OS
- Graphics card: DirectX 9 or later with WDDM 1.0 driver
- Display: 1024×600
LOOKING FOR UNLIMITED IT SUPPORT? GET IN TOUCH TODAY FOR A FREE CONSULTATION!
0800 680 00 88
How to take advantage of the free upgrade
You can do one of two things*:
- Buy a new Windows 8.1 device and upgrade it to Windows 10 for free, or
- Reserve a free upgrade for your existing Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 PC
Not every device will run every feature of Windows 10. Be sure to check with your manufacturer before purchasing. Additional details on upgrade qualifications are below.
There are some basic requirements:
- Must be running the latest version of Windows 7 (Service Pack 1) to receive the free upgrade to Windows 10 via Windows Update.
- Must be running the latest version of Windows 8 (Windows 8.1 Update) to receive the free upgrade to Windows 10 via Windows Update.
Do you have Volume Licensing?
Some editions are excluded for the upgrade: Windows 7 Enterprise, Windows 8/8.1 Enterprise, and Windows RT/RT 8.1. Active Software Assurance customers in volume licensing have the benefit to upgrade to Windows 10 enterprise offerings outside of this offer.